Translate

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Clinical patients recently presented with a swallowed needle, ruptured eardrums, a Guinea worm abcess of the forehead, and hearing loss and tinnitus from chloroquin treated malaria. The Karl Storz telescopes were helpful in treating the seamstress who swallowed the needle. Several surgeries were successful but the lack of monitors caused post-operative concern about hypoxia and hypotension. Tyco-Nellcor and Respironics pulse oximeters will be put to good use. Electrical failures are frequent and I should have listened to Dr. Chang's suggestion of accepting Surgitel's battery powered headlight. Road accident deaths are numerous; it is foolish to be on the road a night.
I found the hospital to be full of broken medical equipment which was previously donated without provisions for maintenance. Today, 80 % of this old otolaryngology equipment had to be discarded because it was beyond repair. A section of the roof has been leaking and because of the recent heavy rains, the audiology suite was flooded. During the roof's repair, the hospital's main electrical cables were found to be rotten - a potential fire hazard and possible hospital closure. An electrician is due to evaluate.
I have bee bringing in new equipment gradually from an off-site warehouse. Now that the ear, nose and throat departmetn has more space, we can bring in additional supplies once security is assured.

7 comments:

juplife said...

dr. murphy,

i'm a friend of beth's from ND. she told me she enjoys her mom's blog more than yours. you better do something about that. i catch all of your updates and i'm really glad you've decided to share the experience with everyone. i have a cousin working with the peace corps in burkina faso. i'll send him to ghana if he ever needs treatment. keep up the good work. if you take and pictures i'd love to see those as well.

john

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Your blog is really an experience to read. Makes life here in Kearny NJ not so ordinary as it seems anymore.

I am passing your blogs to everyone I know in my internet circle (mostly just my family and my Rotary community) to stir their emotions and to raise compassion for your mission. (Actually, I am trying to open their pocketbooks for donations)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Cyndy, and look forward to reading your blogs. Loved your shower story, me I will watch out each time I put conditioner in my hair....it does not wash out without water.....

Regards,
Carol MacDonald
Ebbtide115@aol.com

Carol said...

Dr. Murphy,
Following your steps, I have created a blog also, www.overthebridges.blogspot.com

We are working at this end...sure you are at yours!

Peace,
Carol

Carol said...

Dr. Murphy,
Following your steps, I have created a blog also, www.overthebridges.blogspot.com

We are working at this end...sure you are at yours!

Peace,
Carol

Anonymous said...

The Irish comment above is valid. How many MDs are reading your esoteric descriptions? You need to write for the hoi polloi without medical degrees.
Your big sister

Anonymous said...

Dr. Murphy, I'm going to agree with your big sis above. I had a hard time understanding your last blog, but it was still fun to read! I hope
I can come out there with Beth at some point!

Big hug,
Estefania

ps. How about Bolivia as your next retirement destination?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!